IPL is a progressive treatment that offers full body hair removal - but you can use IPL to treat separate areas, such as your arms, legs, or bikini area, depending your individual needs. When using IPL, you’ll hold a flashgun device that delivers a spectrum of light to the skin. These rays of light target melanin, which helps it reach the hair root and disable key areas within the follicle.
Not quite convinced yet? See below for some of the main benefits of using IPL, compared to other hair removal methods:
- You can undergo IPL hair removal in the comfort of your own home, applying these gentle flashes of light around your desired body areas after shaving.
- IPL results in your hair becoming thinner and less noticeable, as it naturally sheds and regrows at a much slower pace.
- With epilating or waxing, you’re advised not to shave for a few weeks before treatment, which can lead to stubbly body hair during that in-between period – not ideal if you want to hit the beach and try out that new swimsuit! You won’t have to worry about this with IPL, as you’re actually advised to shave before treatment. Shaving before your IPL hair removal treatment helps the light beam to focus in on the hair root.
- When using IPL, you’ll need to shave less and less as your treatments go on. As the hair follicles will be empty, you’ll notice fewer ingrown hairs and less stubble ‘shadow’.
- IPL treatment helps to smooth out the texture of your skin, whereas waxing or threading can cause inflammation
Not all IPL devices deliver the same results. You may have to undergo treatment for months with some IPLs, whereas the Braun Silk Expert Pro 5 takes just 4 weeks to achieve visible hair reduction, with smooth skin up to 6 months.
It’s been especially designed with a skin sensor to automatically detect the tone of your skin, so that it is always adapting the flash intensity, which is safer and removes hair more efficiently.